Thursday, December 13, 2007

A little bit nice and a lot of naughty

First of all, if anybody is still checking in on this blog....Bless your heart! I have no excuse for not posting, except that the datebook is full right now (fa la la la la....) and since I neither gave birth to nor get paid for the blog, it's on the "we'll catch up in the New Year" list. Along with my laundry. And my husband's semi-annual conjugal visit.

That being said, I couldn't resist sharing some great holiday moments of the Southern Fried House of Fun, 2007 edition.

The first one is not funny, but was a very moving experience for me this year. Our group of friends has a casual holiday gathering every year. We usually feast on Christmas goodies, have a few cocktails, and do a "dirty Santa" gift exchange. A fun, low-key, kid-free evening. Well, this year, the hostess & I happened to attend an event at our church and were looking over the "angel tree" where needy families' information was posted. We were surprised and sad to see a family we knew, and the mom had been in a Preschool Mom's group with us a couple of years ago. The list simply said, "We can't afford to buy Christmas for our children this year." We just looked at each other, and back at the list...Then, we took it down & quickly went home to e-mail everyone with the change of plans. Instead of dirty Santa gifts no one needs, we would take the money to bring gifts for the family. We filled a dining room table, and wrapped all the gifts beautifully. It was fantastic, and will be our new tradition. Things like that put me in the spirit of Christmas more than anything else.

The President is looking forward to the holiday, and as you might imagine, has a very specific list for The Man in Red. He's very easy to buy for, and has not faltered from his original gift requests. As I've said before, he's very observant. I downloaded the song "Santa Baby" as my ringtone for my cellphone. As I was packing his lunch the other day, I was singing "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." Well, he put 2 + 2 together, and said, "Ohhhhhh, so that's what the song Santa Baby is all about!" It's sex ed, the holiday edition! And he's only seven. Yippee.

We had a chance to meet Santa on a field trip the other day. Each of the children was given an opportunity to climb up and present their list of demands. My son (he's not called The President for nothing!) leads off with, "First, I've got two questions:

#1) Am I on the nice list?
He was.

#2) Do you have a budget?
Yes. He really asked Santa Claus that...and St. Nick said, "This kid's gonna be a politician!" Everybody cracked up.

And, not to be left out of the festivities, Pop has been teaching Fat Baby to spread the holiday cheer. Ask my three year old, "What does Santa say?"

"HO HO HO....bullshit, bullshit, bullshit!"

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the fold...You sound happily busy...Yay.

Hope you are ALL well.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Wade's World said...

I love your family!!!You always keep me entertained.

P.S. I obsessively check all my blogs for updates. I have to spend my working hours doing something productive!

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH - She's back!

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you went off to BUT I figured you were busy and would stop in and say 'hi' when you could:) So, "HI!"

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Ann(ie) said...

What a cool thing for you and your friends to do. Love it!! Happy Holidays, sugar. Glad you're back!!!

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

It has been insane around the Mayhem as well!

I just love those cute boys of yours!

Junior Mayhem has been changing his list on a daily basis....to which I reply...it's too late to change....the letter has already been sent....AND the presents already bought! :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I love your new holiday tradition! THAT my friend, is definitely a good way to get into the holiday season.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
Your boys crack me up. Especially The president "Is there a budget?" That kid is too much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home