Saturday, October 06, 2007

I'm older & I have better insurance...

It's a super great lazy day around the Southern Fried House today. Everyone except me & the Fat Baby are off enjoying some SEC football. We spent a few happy hours purusing a new Books a Million--heaven on earth--followed by Target. A double dose of wandering bliss. I bought a bunch of crap I didn't need. I bought many lovely, useful and wonderful things that will bring me great joy. Including three books, Monster Mash Mojito Mix (add rum & freeze--makes 20 cocktails), a new planner (because I'm an OCD, type A, planning fanatic--and it makes me happy happy), and some fabulous hooks for the boys' room to hang their backpacks on. Finally. (Have been looking for those for months).

When the window of opportunity for fun-time-with-a-preschooler was closing, and we were leaving the Tar-jay, I began to back out of my parking space just as I always do. Car in reverse, foot on break, creep back, and check rearview and side mirrors. I almost always have my kids in the car, and their safety is #1 priority with me. Driving the big ole Honda Oddysey doesn't inspire reckless abandon--ummm, kay? Anyway, as I was doing my preliminary ease back I heard somebody honk their horn. At moi?!?! No one could have been more careful than I at that moment. (I do admit that I am by no means the best driver around, but I do. not. take unnecessary chances with my kids). I look around to see the source of the rudeness. Three skinny little heifers who barely look old enough to drive. She was probably sitting on phone book to see over the wheel. I caught the whole "mean girls" look, and the whole, "look how cool I am--I can honk at some mom in a minivan."

Pissed me off. I thought about flipping her off, but what kind of example would that be to Fat Baby. (And besides I was afraid he'd do it at church tomorrow if he saw me do it). So, pulled out & passed them, I looked the driver straight in the eye and smiled (fake, bouncy cheerleader smile) and waved my ass off. They probably thought I knew their mom. Whatever. They all looked very perplexed, but I'm sure they will think about the attitude next time. Nah, probably not. I'm going to do my "I Don't Have a Girl" Dance now.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Jennifer (mom of four) said...

Fried Green Tomatoes!!! Love that line!!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Ann(ie) said...

Good for you!! See, that's why I love you~! That and the fact that you're a fellow OCD list maker. =)

HEY...I want to order some of the cuteness from Southern Living at Home. Can I email you an order? My email is annmiller71@comcast.net.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Wade's World said...

Love, love, love, the comment about sitting on a phone book. That's hilarious!!!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Awesome; you should really have yelled something about "say hi to your mom for me!". They'd torment themselves wondering whose mom you knew, were you going to call and tell on them...definitely they'd think twice before honking at their elders again!

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

HaHa don't you just want to ram the shit out people's cars when stuff like that happens (a la Fried Green Tomatoes)

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Angie said...

"Skinny little heifers" totally made me laugh! Love it.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

I hate young girls with attitude!


UGH!

I am with you on the OCD thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home