Sunday, September 30, 2007

Martha Stewart wishes she were me...or how to completely overcommit yourself

So, Friday was My Baby's Daddy's birthday! In honor of the occasion, I baked him this cake.







It is a yummy, completely from scratch Italian Cream Cake. The first time I ever tried it. It was absolutely fab-u-lous. I look forward to enjoying a huge wedge of it while I watch the season premiere of Desperate Housewives tonight. (The show has gone downhill since season one, yet I still need to know what happens--go figure).

I also cooked a delicious birthday meal for hubby (okay, for the rest of us, too because you know I love to cook & I love good food). I made a marinade for grilled pork chops with hot pepper jelly, white wine & fresh basil (recipe from Southern Living-first time to try it). They were pretty good. Our grill ran out of gas halfway through, so we had to finish up inside.

To go with the chops, I made a cheese grit casserole (also from Southern Living-also my first time to make it) which was the bomb! This is also the first time you can Google cheese grits and actually hear me talking about cheese grits. The recipe had 10 oz. of fresh grated sharp cheddar and 4 oz. of fresh grated Gouda. YUMMMY! Definitely a do-over.

We had yeast dinner rolls (from the frozen section--what do you think I am superwoman?!?!) and a Strawberry and Hearts of Palm salad with a homemade dressing that rocks the house. I've made it tons of times, and it is always great. (You can find the recipe on Food Network's website--it's a Paula Deen recipe).

AND....Pop and I (okay, mostly Pop) recovered the dining room chairs on Friday. Our table and chairs belonged to my husband's grandfather, and I don't know if the chairs have ever been recovered. I replaced the traditional, threadbare fabric (on the right) with some fun, retro fabric that I had to have. It's so me.





And in a final display of domestic splendor, I made two "Oh Boy Cheesecakes" for a church bake-off today, and won first place in my division.

Last night, I made My Baby's Daddy take me out to dinner!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Care to come to TN and cook for a SAHM mom who loves the cooking channel and loves to try RR recipes:)? I love Paula Dean too BUT have yet to try her recipes or buy her books. I will though b/c she's so sweet and it all looks great. I'm thinking it won't look or taste as great when I do it but I love to experiment:)

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rock!! You are so my idol! If only Martha Stewart was half as fun as you; then maybe her talk show wouldn't be such a total snooze-fest.
By the way the next time you whip up some chesse grits give a sister a call!!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Mouth watering...

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to make that cake all of the time (pre kid). It will cause people to worship you and be completely at your service.

I'm thinking I should pull out the recipe....

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Wade's World said...

I am loving your chairs. They look oh-so-fabulous :)

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Ann(ie) said...

I love the chairs.

I want the cake.

I ADORE twinsmom comment....gotta say AMEN!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home