Here is an e-mail survey that I got from a friend the other day. I love these darn worthless knowledge things, and this one will help to get us all in the holiday spirit. (Yes, I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but since the Wal-Mart is playing Christmas tunes, I can go ahead & post this survey.) Thanks to my good buddy Janet for the inspiration to post a quiz today...it's a slow news day. Don't be a scrooge, play along and answer in the comments!
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? hot chocolate, made with milk, and whipped cream on top (no marshmallows)
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? sits them under the tree, artistically arranged, of course
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? white
4. Do you hang mistletoe? when I can find it
5. When do you put your decorations up? The week-end after Thanksgiving. As soon as live trees go on sale. My Baby's Daddy likes a live tree...we've done both, and are thinking of getting a pre-lit fake one this year. If so, it may be sooner, but I doubt it.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? At Christmas, my dad cooks prime rib, and my step-mother makes an awesome salad with artichokes & a homemade dressing that I love. My mom makes a hash brown casserole for Thanksgiving that we ask for every year.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:We used to go to my Grandmother's house every year on Christmas eve, and when we left we would pass a radio tower. My dad told us it was Rudolph's nose, and we better go straight to bed when we got home!
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?The truth about Santa? He's a great guy, and if you don't believe you don't receive!
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? If we go to my Grandmother's house, we do. Since our second child was born, we have opted to stay home (we live 2 1/2 hours away) for the holiday, and travel to see family Christmas day and after.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? With ornaments I've been accumulating since I got married. I buy at least one new family one every year & my mom gets Hallmark ornaments for all of us each year. We try to make a festive time out of putting up the tree...playing carols, making hot chocolate, etc.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it--you know why? It only snows here once every three or four years, and then just a couple of inches for maybe 24 hours.
12. Can you ice skate? Yeah, but it's not pretty! (At least I could back in the day...)
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? finding out I was pregnant during the holiday season twice!
14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? the buffet! ha ha! of course, it is spending time with my family & being thankful for our blessings
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? My mother's Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese and Pecan Frosting
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? I keep a basket of children's Christmas books on the fireplace hearth, and we turn off the lights and snuggle up and read stories. Ever since I was a little girl, we have read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" right before going to bed on Christmas eve. At Thanksgiving, all the grandchildren help my dad prepare a big turkey to go in the smoker. We also play Dirty Santa at my dad's with the brothers & sisters on Christmas night. Totally fun!
17. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving--the older I get, the more I love to do special things for others. My favorite gifts to family have been a family cookbook that I put together, and a calendar with different pictures of the kids to represent each month.
18. Candy Canes! Yuck or yummy? They are o.k., but I prefer chocolate.
19. Favorite Christmas Movie? Christmas Vacation
20. Which reindeer are you, and why? Blitzen...because nothing says, "happy holidays" like a night of boozing it up with your friends and family!