Friday, November 10, 2006

Clothes Don't Make the Man

In light of our recent crisis, I traveled a couple of hours from home to be with my family. I thought that I would only be gone for the day, and worst case scenario, maybe overnight. I wore my comfortable "mom uniform..." Long sleeve layer-look t-shirt with my favorite jeans and tennis shoes. I grabbed an overnight bag with my pajamas, another long sleeve t-shirt, striped running pants, and my make-up case. My Baby's Daddy took a vacation day, took the President to school, and stayed home with Fat Baby. When we saw that I was going to be gone for a couple of days, he made childcare arrangements so that he could work. Since school was out today in observance of Veteran's Day, (Thank you to all of our veterans for your service to our great nation!) I asked if he could bring the kids to me...so, he did. A couple of family members met him halfway, and he brought an overnight bag for the kids with a few extras for me. He told the family, "Just tell her to go buy whatever they need...I had no idea what to pack." Talk about the understatement of the century!!!! One of my worst fears is having to have this sweet man try to pack a suitcase for me. The melange of clothing that he loosely assembled was amazing. I kid you not...the items included the top part of last year's heavy fleece Christmas pajamas, with no bottoms. (Not to mention that the weather was in the 70s here today...maybe even 80 degrees). Fat Baby was dropped off with no pacifier...and no heads up, either. Got to be bedtime & I call Baby's Daddy, "Ummmmm, where's the paccy?" Oh, when [your friend] picked him up from childcare, she said he didn't have it. But he went to school with one. Well, do you think I'm going to choose this time of emotional upheaval as my opportunity to wean....mmmmmm, no. My dad went up to the Piggly Wiggly (small town grocery store--yes, it's real, just like in the movie Sweet Home Alabama) and he got a paccy. Not the kind Fat Baby takes, but he wasn't picky. Tonight, I went by a Wal-Mart and bought four new ones. There is not reason to punish myself, right?

Since I had very limited choices in the wardrobe department for both myself and the boys, I took the opportunity to enjoy some good old retail therapy! Cha-ching! I followed it up with a yummy 22 oz. strawberry mango margarita...Needless to say, my evening turned out to be just what I needed.

My Baby's Daddy will be leaving Sunday night to go out of town on business....so, he has a chance to redeem himself on his bag-packing abilities. He has been known to have to run to the nearest Wal-Mart when out of town on business for underwear, toothpaste, and/ or deodorant. When we went on a trip for our 10th wedding anniversary....he left all my hang-up clothes at home, and we had to stop en route to buy me a new mini-wardrobe. Hey, works for me!

1 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Angie said...

I was so cracking up reading about the clothes MBD packed. Men crack me up sometimes! :)

That whole paccy..pacie..passy (how would you spell that?) thing, I get. My 2nd child loved hers and it was bad bad bad not to have it at bedtime. She was 4 before she stopped taking it. But she was my baby girl, so I didn't really push it. I am all about comfort objects.

Woo hoo on the new clothes! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home