Sunday, November 05, 2006

Should I Come Out of the Closet?

This post by Lotta over at Mom-O-Matic got me to thinking a lot about my writing. My family has always been so supportive & my parents are my biggest fans. When I started this blog a couple of months ago, I told only one close friend & my husband. It’s not like I’m writing any deep, dark secrets—and I’m sure my family would enjoy logging on & reading. They might even leave comments. I love getting comments on my blog, it’s like an unexpected little gift. I just don’t know whether I want to let everyone in on it. Do those of you who are “out in the open” feel that you sometimes think, “Ummmmm…can’t write that, because then I’ll have to hear it from Mom.” Even with friends, I wonder if I’ll find myself leaving out my deepest real feelings because I’ll know they are reading. Not that I’d say, “I can’t believe that heifer bitch slut [insert name here] said my roots were showing.” Not that any of my friends would say that...okay, well a couple would. And none of my friends are heifer bitch sluts, okay, well, a couple are.

6 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Only 2 people that I work with know about my blog. My husband reads it and my daughter does..she's 15. Otherwise, my sisters know about my blog but don't read it. So, not many people in my 'real life' know or read, so I can say just about anything. Almost. :)

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering am I a heifer bitch slut?:-) Never hold back your feelings, because you think I might be reading. I would hope that anything you say on here you could tell me in "real life". So come on girl, let it out!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Mom O Matic said...

All the time! But I'm thinking that's not such a bad thing. It forces me to make the blog less of a bitch session and more of a think'n place.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Nicole P. said...

I definitely censor what I say on my blog. I made the mistake early on of telling a few real life people about my site. I also can't talk about work for fears of getting fired like Dooce.

I wanted to share with my real life friends that I had made friends in the fancy computing box but the consequence is that I have to censor. Which is probably for the best, as I'd hate to hurt feelings for the sake of sharing my stories. But yes, it does take a certain something away from the blog's original purpose.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Heather @ thedomesticdiva.org said...

I'm usually quick to spit out that I have a website, mainly because I'm paying for it and I'm a sucker for a hit but still it is really tough having to sensor what I say. I really don't know who does or doesn't know about my blog by now so to play it safe and if it is a topic that is really bugging me and I must tell the world about then I will use nicknames and fake places. But for the most part, since my life is uninteresting I just keep it boring and talk about myself...ha ha.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I call my mom first to warn her of the bad stuff but I try never to censor myself. I'm proud of who I am. Warts and all.

I don't really have warts. Well I had one once. On my foot.

Damn. Maybe I do need to censor myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home