Thursday, August 09, 2007

Snapshots of Back-to-School

Today was our first day back. I hate transitional days. I think I'll do this post in bullet form, because I seem to be typing in bulllet statements. Here goes:





  • The President is (by our choice) repeating the first grade this year. He has several strikes against him, in that he is


#1) male



#2) hereditarily pre-disposed to ADD (remember My Baby's Daddy has adult ADD)



and #3) he has a late birthday



Last year's school performance did not at all reflect the brightness, intellect, and high scores that you would expect from The Pres. Teachers & the (fabulous!) school guidance counselor assured me that it could very well be nothing more than that late birthday. He was 6-9 months younger than most of his class. We decided to try it again, and if attention-span issues arise (again), we will address them. He is very cool with trying it again. He's a fan of being the oldest one in class, and most likely the best reader.





  • Yesterday, The President & I made homemade cookies that I sent to the teacher this morning in the cutest little pink striped bakery-box. It's never too early to kiss a little ass. (And I really do appreciate teachers who are underpaid for the phenomenal work they do.)


  • It rained for like 3 weeks of our summer vacation (not complaining, we need the rain down here). Today it is hotter than three hells. Why couldn't it be 159 degrees and sunny when all we had to do was splash in the pool?


  • When I left to pick up The Pres, Fat Baby decided to climb in the big boy booster instead of his carseat. It's a short drive, and he definitely exceeds the minimum weight requirement to do the booster. When we got to the school, he unbuckled and began to roam around the van. He made his way to my lap, and pretended to drive. When I had to pull forward about 15 feet, I felt like the Britney Spears of our school, with baby on my lap. (No, I am not shaving my head...though I am about half bat-shit crazy).


  • Got the big boy in the car, great first day, and soon heading for home. Our elementary school changed the pick-up procedure slightly, so I'm sitting in one of four lanes of traffic, with hundreds of cars in front and hundreds of cars behind. This total. freaking. dumb. ass. in front of me starts to do a three point turn, like he's just going to weave around & jet on out of there! I was so pissed off! Even if it's his first time at our school, he had to know that we couldn't all just cut & run when we felt like it....I can't stand it when people think the rules don't apply to them! The President was afraid I would take my unstable, hormonal self out there & embarass him. I almost did.


  • Fat Baby starts military pre-school on Monday. After he flooded the bathroom yesterday, dumped a whole colander full of freshly-washed grapes all over the kitchen floor to watch them roll, and was generally a pain in the butt...I have to say it was quite easy to commit to three days a week for him. I hope to the GoodLordUp Above that they teach him how to follow directions, and how to transition from one activity to the next, because I sure as hell haven't been able to.

  • Have I mentioned that it's hot as Hades around here?!? I flat-ironed my hair twice today! (A sister's gotta stay cute, ya know?)

  • I'll be glad when we get into our new routine!






Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger Special K ~Toni said...

I can't see any pictures!

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you are funny as hell, right?

We are moving to three days for MDO this fall,too. After a summer with no MDO, three days will seem like a vacation!

My Punkin's birthday falls on the cut off day for starting school and we are back and forth about whether to hold him back a year or not. I'll have to check your archives and see how your last year went.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

Each of my sons had to repeat the 4th grade. They didn't have late birthdays at all, but for some reason they BOTH lost it in 4th. It was still the best thing that ever happened for them, IMO.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

Girl, you make me laugh.

Good for you, making the decision to hold the President back for a year. That's smart. A lot of parents would just keep pushing forward until the train wrecked. And WOW, they start back to school early there.

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Pres.

He'll be just great.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Ahhh, The joys of back to school! The twins start back to preschool soon and lord help me it's a co-op. Don't ask...

At least it's not that hot here in Seattle!

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Ann(ie) said...

You crack me UP!! I love your posts. =P

We don't have that heat in Seattle, thankfully. Like WM said. I'd have to carry my flat iron with me at all times if so.

I hear ya....I like settling into routines, too.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Super B's Mom said...

Your posts ROCK! Love it!

If this heat doesn't let up, I'm gonna croak.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

Both of my kids have late birthdays and I could have written this post about my son!

We are not even starting Junior Mayhem in kindergarten until he is almost 6!

The Princess was 4 for almost the first 2 months of kindergarten. She was fine academically...but took a while to catch up emotionally!

Hope his year is great!

PS: Melting in Hades here too!

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Special K ~Toni said...

Well- don't I feel like an idiot for not paying closer attention!


Where's my cocktail??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home