Monday, June 25, 2007

Makin' Mama Proud

This week was Vacation Bible School. I don't know if the tradition is the same everywhere, but here in the South VBS is a big deal. And it has come a long way since I was growing up. Gone are the days of dixie cups of kool-aid and cookies with your bible stories...These days VBS is interactive, and the kids travel to different stations to fully experience the lesson through crafts, drama, music, games, and snacks. Since I had my hands full helping Pop with some necessary medical & paperwork details, a good friend helped a sister out & took my boys to church each night. They both really loved it. I loved the three-plus hours they were out of the house each evening. This is the first year since I've had kids that I haven't been actively involved and volunteering with VBS, but I feel that being there with my dad is a blessing and a calling that I can't afford to miss. So, I sent my little chickens out to get them some religion every night. On Sunday, our entire church service consisted of the kids performing the songs & recapping the bible points learned each night. The music that goes with the curriculum we use for VBS each year is always outstanding. The kids learn simple gestures and dance steps that go along with the lesson each day. We are blessed to have a great, energetic and enthusiastic worship-leader for the music. (She also happens to be a kindergarten teacher & is wonderful with the kids).

Now, a little background....the President is not all about performing. That's just not his thing. He loves to have his picture in the newspaper, or wouldn't even mind being on tv--just not dancing around & singing. In fact, he told me before church that he didn't believe he would participate, thankyouverymuch. To which I pleaded, "C'mon...just let me get a few pictures." After several minutes of debate, I told him I would give him a dollar to sing (and act like a normal six year old for once, for the love of God!) He is such a little capitalist, I know how to motivate him. He said, "Make it two & you've got a deal!" And he's been this way his whole life.

So imagine my utter delight when Fat Baby (not even three years old) is up there on stage, doing the motions & DROPPING IT LIKE IT'S HOT!!!! That kid was breaking it down! It was fantastic! He was center stage & totally stole the show! After a few songs, he started to climb down off the stage & I brought him to sit with me. You could just see the old ladies all over the congregation smiling at his irresistible cuteness. I was beaming as I snuggled him on my lap. Then, in that quiet moment just before the prayer...he looked into my eyes and smiled so sweetly, and pulled open my blouse and squealed, "BOOBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the man!!! Boobies!

Love him.

Did you ever pay the Pres for his performance!!!?

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

Good LORD, I love your kids!

We just finished VBS at our church too! I was so tickled to hear Junior Mayhem singing, "You better build your house upon the wock"! (rock) :)

PS: This is SO why you need to come check out my blog....someone there thinks you are a ROCK STAR!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger For the Love... said...

You are not kidding about VBS being a big deal down here! My children go to a VERY small country school, and they PRAY before games, at assembly (sp?) and there were letters sent home on the last day of school with a list of all VBS's in our area. Did I mention that it is a PUBLIC school!!!!!
How lucky are we?!?!

And your kids are too funny!

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger MOM IS NUTZ said...

I loved Bible School...blogged about it too...no assembly though...but rid of kidz for 3+ hours...woohooo

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Too funny!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I just found your blog, I'm originally from Mississippi and remember what a big deal VBS is (as those of us in the know call it.) Anyway, your post made me laugh! I loved it. My son is just about 5 months old, but I like reading about what I get to look forward to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home