Saturday, April 21, 2007

Something's Fishy...

Everybody put your fins together & give a big welcome to the two newest members of the Southern Fried Family--Charlie and Cindy. We went to the Spring Fling at The President's school today, where he won coupons for two FREE goldfish. Yippee. Oh boy. So, I after a trip to Wal-Mart, where I spent about $40 in fish supplies, we stopped by the pet store to claim our prize. (That's right--even though they gave me the 28 cent goldfish, I didn't buy their over-priced tank and fish food).

The Southern Fried Family doesn't have a great track record with pets...our dog died when I was pregnant with The President. On the day before Thanksgiving. I didn't even know I was pregnant yet. I've got two words for you: hysterical hormones. I cried and cried and cried and cried and cried and cried...you get the picture. Since the boys came along, we have killed four hermit crabs and a turtle. Didn't shed a tear. Well, I did tear up when we had to have a shoebox burial and funeral service for Tuck, the turtle. The President said a little prayer, asking God to watch out for Tuck, and thanking the turtle for being such a great friend. (We had him less than a month).

So, neither The President or I have great expectations for this little endeavor. We know we could have floaters on our hands at a moment's notice. I even told my son that I would get us a sturdier Beta fish for Plan B when these two go on to the big fishbowl in the sky. Even as the pet shop guy was scooping them out, I was telling The Pres how we would flush them when they die. I've got to teach him to be realistic...and realistically, goldfish don't last very long. Around here, even less.

Then on the ride home, he's talking to them...I wish I had a video camera rolling. He's introducing himself, "Hi, guys! I'm your new owner. You're going to live with us, and you will love it. We bought you a nice tank, and I'll feed you every day. I had a turtle and some hermit crabs, but they're dead...but I promise I won't let you die! I'm going to take such good care of you." The idea of having these fish for pets is starting to grow on me...until the novelty wears off & I'm left to clean the tank.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Amazing how cheap fish can end up costing so much! Good luck with their survival!!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

We "won" two goldfish at a birthday party once. One of them were floating before we even made it to the house!

We also suffered from "bad pet kharma"

Good luck with the fish!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

My kids are older than yours, but in the past few years, we have lost four hamsters, four hermit crabs, a turtle, an anole, another wild-caught lizard, a scorpion, and a millipede. I was distraught over all of them, except for the one wild lizard, who we were going to release, but it died first.

Now we're down to one hamster, one dog, and one anole. I kinda miss having a zoo, but not enough to replace all the pets we've lost.

Good luck with the President's fishies!

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with that.

I can't help bit giggle...I can see the post in a few days...RIP Fishys...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home