Sunday, February 18, 2007

Show me the money!

I've been back & forth to the hospital (a little over an hour away), checking on my Dad for the past three days. Yesterday and today, My Baby's Daddy had the boys at home. For future reference, I thought I should record a statement he made to me last night.

"You do not get paid enough!!!!"

Well, no shit...what do you think I've been telling you?!? Apparently "seeing is believing," especially when it comes to Fat Baby. Everything you've heard about two year olds...he's all that and more! While you're busy doing one thing, he's busy un-doing about three things you've already done. Today he discovered that he could grab a stool & pull it up to the counter in the kitchen, climb onto the counter, and reach the Valentine's candy stashed on top of the fridge. He's quite resourceful. And persistent.

And he's sweet. Today, he counted to five for the first time. He also climbed into my lap this morning, when I was having a meltdown, and patted away my tears with his chubby little hands.

Breaking news, as we speak: My Baby's Daddy just called me to come to the boys' bathroom. When The President got out of the bathtub, he left the water in. In less than 3 minutes, Fat Baby had climbed into the tub in his pajamas! Now we have to get him ready for bed all over again.

I know I should appreciate this crazy time in my life, because it will pass so quickly. I've read that these are the longest days, but the shortest years. It is hard to be a mom, to try to keep all the balls in the air, to do the right thing, to be able to laugh instead of crying, to be a nurse, teacher, chef, chauffeur, events coordinator, maid and personal assistant. I want my children to learn by my example (hopefully more good than bad). At the end of the day, I hope that they know that I did the very best I could, and that being their mom is the greatest blessing I've ever known. Blessings don't always come easy. Being a mom is the hardest job I've ever loved!


A little extra cash would be nice, too.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is wonderful.

No, not that you are having a hard time. But that you can find the positive within the sadness and grief.

Ugh. I wish I could do that.

I am having some serious child dominance and meltdown issues as of late.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

If only that gig paid! UGH! I know I will look back on the toddler days with fondness, but right now they can be a pain in the ass! :)

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't find your email so I'm leaving a comment...I see you have Dlisted on your Blog list! Is that not the best site ever!?!?! You should check out www.wwtdd.com also. I love your site! I found it through Yer Doing it Wrong and I check in everyday. I admire your strength through this rough patch your family is having.

Keep your chin up!

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there was a contest a year or so ago where mothers wrote down the job description for a mom and the winner received at least $150,000. Why that amount? Somebody looked at what mothers do in a given day and decided that if they were to put a dollar figure on it, that's what it would be.

Like you, I wish I could pull in that kind of bank for weathering this craziness.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

Hope all is well with you and your family! Just checking in on you!

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger yerdoingitwrong said...

I wanted to check on you, too. Hope all is well. Just thinking about you!! xo.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

How is your father doing? I hope all is well.

Your family is still in my prayers!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger sarahmcsimmons said...

I'm writing a cookbook on Grits and through my research, I found your blog! OMG! I LOVE IT! Your writing is so entertaining and will certainly be a bright spot in my day on a regular basis. I haven't read far enough to know what is wrong with your dad, but I will keep your family in my prayers.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Sherri said...

Just yesterday my son was toddling around sticking his wet nose & sticky fingers on every clean and shiny surface in my house. At 12 now, he towers over me, leaves his wet towels and dirty underwear in places they have no business being and tells me on a daily basis, "You're the best mom in the whole world".

It's a pretty sweet pay off. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home