Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Summer Fun and An Open Book

Nothing new, exciting, funny, or even mildly entertaining around here...which is good news, I guess. After the turmoil of/ and leading up to the holiday season, it's nice to just settle into a boring old routine for a while. And even though the temperatures here are starting to finally reflect the season (in the 40s--we are still in the Deep South, you know), I am developing a case of early spring fever. I find myself thinking of sitting by the pool, sporting a nice tan, big boy out of school, sleeping late, grilling out, chilling out, and our family beach trip...which The Pres & I have made My Baby's Daddy promise we will have this year. I think about the summer every single day. It's not that I dislike winter, or that we even have more than say, three days of winter to speak of...it's just that since Christmas has passed, I'm ready for the next big thing. Of course, I've got to lose 10 or 40 pounds between now & then...but if I could blink my eyes & be on a float with an umbrella drink right now, Shamu-the-Whale-Woman be damned, I'd do it!

But since I have to face reality, I might as well enjoy the cold(er) weather by curling up with a good book. My aunt gave me Tell No One (which I just finished) and Gone For Good (just started) by Harlan Coben. Nice, easy reading and nicely written. I read the first one in just a couple of days. I love to read, and if it's a good book, I will get through it pretty quickly. My favorite author is Anne Rivers Siddons. I have read just about everything she has ever written. Fantastic. My favorite book of hers is Peachtree Road. I just read Jodi Picoult for the first time...enjoyed it, as well. I love Cassandra King, and Mary Kay Andrews. I am really into books with crazy Southern women (go figure...takes one to know one?) I also recently finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. It was very well done, and rewarding.

Now you know what I like...I am up for recommendations. As if you can't tell, I read all the freaking time...so please share!!! And feel free to check out some of my favorites. I'm sure there are blog "book clubs" out there, but I'd have to be in charge (remember my Type A tendencies?) of my own, because I want to read for fun...not because it has the most literary merit. I may hold a degree in English, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed Beowulf, know what I mean?

4 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodi Picoult is my new fave too...Get "Keeping Faith", 'The Pact" and "My Sister's Keeper"...You'll bawl your eyes out.

I love a good book...any recommendations?

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl -
I read Tell No One a few years ago - good suspense! I read Dean Koontz's book Velocity a few months ago - a similar type suspense book. I bounce back and forth - I read a good mystery/suspense and then something more light.
(I'm commenting on your blog as per your "hint" to us blog readers of yours in previous blog)

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Jeanna said...

If you're ever in need of a good laugh (as I think most moms are), read the Stephanie Plum series by janet Evanovich. Not only are they very good reads, but they just keep going. She's currently writing #13.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Esmerelda said...

'On Her Trail' by John Dickerson is a funny read for a biography. As a Type A career mom of boys, there was a lot of reading between the lines for me. Also, him realizing he was following in his mother's footsteps made me weepy.

I'm waiting for, "Love in the Time of Cholera" from paperback book swap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home