Saturday, January 06, 2007

Home Alone

My Baby's Daddy has three sisters and a brother. His family situation is way more dysfunctional where the parentals are concerned than mine. All that being said, today was the Baby's Daddy Family Sibling Holiday Celebration. All five siblings and their assorted children, spouses, and significant others coordinate schedules to have this sometime-around-Christmas festivity. It ain't easy to get everyone on the same page. There are those from out-of-state, those with more than one baby daddy with whom they must coordinate custody, and the usual assortment of work and social obligations.

This year, there was an additional tie-in to his expectant sister's baby shower brunch in the morning. I was really looking forward to going & seeing everyone, but since I was highly infected with strep, and no doubt contagious...it was obvious that I wouldn't be going this time.

My oldest child is six and a half years old. His brother is two. This is the first time that they have spent a weekend alone with their dad. Any time I have done something without the guys, like my annual girls' beach trip, MBD somehow always ends up sending the boys up to my mom's house.

I know that he loves them as much as I do, even though he can't possibly love them the same way I do. I never imagined the things that I would think of as the three of them set out upon this journey...like their safety. Whenever we take a road trip (this same road trip, even) MBD always drives. Why do I somehow feel that they are all safer if I'm there to see it for myself?

When they left, I noticed that The President had left his "play shoes" at home & was wearing his new tennis shoes. It lead me to think that my well-prepared sister-in-law would certainly offer an extra pair if there was to be in outside-in-the-mud activity. That led me to the revelation that My Baby's Daddy has no idea what size shoes our children even wear!!!! In my way-too-much-time-to-think about this-brain, I could not believe I sent my children away with someone who (never mind that half their DNA is his) doesn't know what size shoes they wear!

I did at least pack for them...so, I know that they have everything they need & won't look like a couple of ragamuffins. Daddy, I'm not so sure about!

I really do think that it will be a good experience for the three of them. Fat Baby & I are rarely apart, and I'm sure by tomorrow evening we will all appreciate each other a little more.

As for me...what mom doesn't dream of the week-end that she will have all to herself with good books, unlimited laptop time, control of the remote, and Peace. And. Quiet. There's not even any guilt, because I'm still on the road to recovery. Freshly showered, clean jammies, a little pain reliever & I'm chilling...so, I am making the most of this unexpected time off.
Hope you all get a little me-time in the New Year....without the strep, of course!

2 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I'm so jealous. I want me time too. With that being said, I would not trust my 3 with hubby for a weekend. OMG I just shiver at the thought. Hope you have a fantastic weekend alone.

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I have to say, I am so very proud of you for letting the kids go without you. You are a strong woman, I don't think I could do that.
Second of all, I'm jealous beyond belief...Can I come over and play? I'll bring the Margarita Mix and Tequila.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home