Monday, December 04, 2006

A tough nut to crack

As we were recently visiting a Michael's craft store, The President became very interested in the Nutcrackers on display. Much to my surprise, he continued to talk about the nutcrackers, and had an elaborate plan to purchase one and open his own little nut shop in the front yard, like a lemonade stand (capitalist that he is). We decided that one six year old--excuse me, six and a HALF year old boy with a single nutcracker could probably not meet the extensive nut needs of our community, so he should probably limit his operation to being a private supplier for Mom's holiday baking. We bought the thing on Friday, and early Saturday morning a friend called and asked if we wanted to join her and her daughter to see The Nutcracker Ballet. It was fantastic, although in the second act, The President did say that he was ready for a little more action and swordfighting and less of "all this spinning!"

After the ballet, we attended a reception called "Nutcracker Sweets." The kids had cookies and lemonade, and were able to have their picture taken with all the characters. Totally cool. The Pres acted like he wasn't all that into it, but later admitted that the Sugar Plum Fairy was really pretty. ("But don't tell anyone I said that, Mom.") Santa (St. Nicholas, actually) was also visiting with the children after the ballet. This was the President's first opportunity for a one-on-one meeting with the big guy. He made a few pictures, reviewed his list, and then I reminded him he might want to mention his brother's Christmas wishes, since he wasn't there to visit with Santa himself. "Oh, yeah...you might need to bring my brother just a teeny little piece of coal, because he's been kind of bad."

7 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that kid. I keep saying it but its true...he's so funny.

That must have been so cool. To see the ballet then have time to hang out with the characters...I would have been in heaven. SF would have wanted to go home...Especially if the 'Big guy' showed up.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Heather @ thedomesticdiva.org said...

I love the nutcracker. That is the best part about the holiday season is seeing the nutcracker whether it be at a live play or on PBS I have to watch it some way or another.

Coal! Poor Brother. Hope Santa doesn't mix up the wrong brother.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Scribbit said...

I love the Nutcracker, such a part of the holiday season--but I can see how a good sword fight could only make it better. :)

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Come back! I miss reading your tales!! I hope everything is ok!! (apparently I love exclamation points today)

:)

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK...where ya been?

I've been waiting for you to come back and I don't know where you are?

I don't have your e-mail so I'm commenting here on this post that is too old for me to ignore any longer....

Are you okay?
Please let me know that you are fine!

Miss you.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Angie said...

I'm fixin' to come hunt you down! ;)

I hope all is well..really! Come back and blog..I miss you!!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Nicole P. said...

Merry Christmas! We miss you in the blog world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home