Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Post Not About Politics

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know that my 8 year old son is determined to be the President of the United States. He asked for a desk and a "world ball" (globe) from Santa when he was 5 years old. He's like Alex P. Keaton with attitude. This is not something we've pushed him to do at all, but we do love that our son has the confidence and intelligence to pursue lofty goals.

Now I feel compelled to say this: I do not like to discuss politics. I don't want you to judge my beliefs (that's why I keep them to myself), and I don't want to hear you preach yours (whether they are the same or different than mine). And many times, I've been in the worst possible situation--where someone is spouting their political beliefs, assuming yours are the same. That being said, this post does not necessarily reflect my own personal political opinions. I am open-minded and fair, and do not attempt to inflict my beliefs onto others--even my own child. His opinions are his alone. And while they are sometimes rooted in immature thinking (I'm voting for so-and-so because I like the way his name sounds, or he went to college at my favorite school), I'm teaching him to gather information, watch the news, and form his opinions accordingly. Keep in mind, however, that we do have an outspoken, "old school" grandparent who lives with us.

I'm often surprised at how much The Pres has learned about our country's government and current events. This was his reaction to the Democratic National Convention coverage this morning:

(News footage of Hillary Clinton on the Today show) "I thought Clinton got flushed down the toilet like a turd...so, what's she doing on the news?"

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw the name of your blog on someone's sidebar and being a southern gal myself, decided to visit. I am glad I did. Love your son's comment. What a hoot. Thanks for the laugh.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

Oh no! I can't stop laughing!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

If the prez gig doesn't work out he could make some serious dough in comedy.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Ann(ie) said...

I read this to my hubby about 15 minutes ago and he's still wiping tears from his eyes!!!!!! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home